By Courtney Phillips
It’s not difficult to find someone who is crazy about chocolate. This delicious treat is not only easy on the taste buds, but has recently been recognized as a healthy treat as well. If you are one of those people that is crazy about chocolate, then you will love the assortment of chocolate websites collected below. From education to finding specialty chocolate to recipes to blogs to videos, the following resources are sure to delight any chocolate fanatic.
A Chocolate Education
Whether you are just looking for a bit of personal education about chocolate or are seeking to educate an entire classroom, these websites will help you learn about chocolate.
- History of Chocolate. Visit this site from the Field Museum in Chicago to learn all about the history of chocolate from its discovery over 2000 years ago to present day.
- The Cocoa Tree. This interactive site lets visitors explore history, culture, ecology, and manufacturing of chocolate.
- The Sweet Lure of Chocolate. Exploratorium Magazine devotes this entire online-only edition to the sweet wonderfulness that is chocolate.
- 70%. This site is loaded with information. Select from the chocopaedia to learn all about chocolates and their makers, read blogs, join in events, and more.
- Chocolate. For teachers, this site offers trivia, links to chocolaty websites, and lesson plans to incorporate chocolate into your classrooms.
- Chocolate. Another great site for teachers and students, find links to other teachers’ and students’ chocolate projects, links to chocolate websites, and more.
- Chocolate Education. Get a quick glimpse of chocolate as well as major chocolate manufacturers around the world.
- The Chocolate School Blackboard. This site offers a chance for children to practice on language arts, history, math, and more with a chocolate focus on the lessons.
- Chocolate Education. Watch the video about this young girl who developed an educational workshop series called "Travel the World Through Chocolate."
- A Dozen Candy Coated Classroom Activities. From M&M math to making fudge in a Ziplock bag to candy statistics, the ideas on this site will have teachers and students enjoying their sweet lessons.
- A Brief History of Chocolate. This article from Smithsonian.com offers an interesting and informative look at the history of chocolate.
- Chocolate: Drink of the Gods!. Learn about the role chocolate played in the Mayan culture.
- National Confectioners Association: All About Chocolate. Click on this links here to learn about the different types of chocolate, responsible cocoa growing, how chocolate is made, and much more.
Chocolate lovers and experts alike share their experience, reviews, post about news and events, and share their love of chocolate in these blogs.
- Chocolate in Context. Not only can you get great chocolate information at this blog, spend some time exploring the many links included here as well.
- Chocolate Blog. Get recipes, news, and information on chocolate at this blog.
- Chocablog. With a mission as promising as finding and reviewing the best chocolate from around the world, you can’t go wrong with this blog.
- Chocolate & Zucchini. While not all the posts on this bilingual (English and French) blog are about chocolate, it’s definitely worth checking out for the posts that do feature this delicious treat.
- Blog Chocolate. This chocolate lover blogs about all things chocolate…and shares a few of her delicious finds too.
- Chocolate Blog. If you were searching for a place to get all the random chocolate news aggregated in one blog, then this is the place for you.
- Lake Champlain Chocolates Blog. Read about what is happening at this chocolate factory or just learn about fun chocolate facts on this blog.
- Chocolate News. Get all the news you need about the world of artisan chocolates here. Recent posts cover Hershey’s dumping artisan chocolates and chocolate tasting.
- Slashfood Chocolate. The blog posts here cover new products and stores as well as chocolate reviews and chocolate chefs.
- Club Chocolate Blog. From the price of chocolate to chocolate in the Wall Street Journal, check out this blog for interesting glimpses in the world of chocolate.
- Chocolate Obsession. Get great reviews and news on all types of chocolate from artisan chocolate to 3 Musketeers.
- Homemade Chocolate. Learn about healthy, homemade chocolate, great chocolate gifts, and even enter a contest or two.
From the best chocolate chip cookies to cupcakes to homemade candies, these recipes will surely fulfill your chocolate cravings.
- About.com Chocolate Recipes. Find everything from how to work with chocolate to recipes for fudge, truffles, and chocolate fruit.
- The Chocolate Gourmand. Learn to make chocolate recipes that look as beautiful as they taste at this site.
- Chocolate Bakery Blog. Get plenty of recipes featuring yummy, chocolaty goodness at this blog.
- Molten Chocolate Magic. This easy and very delicious recipe is sure to impress your fellow chocolate lovers.
- David Lebovitz Recipes. The recipes here are heavy on the chocolate and you know they have to be good coming from this author of The Great Book of Chocolate.
- 101 Cookbooks Chocolate Recipes. From cookies to fudge to chocolate clusters, get delicious chocolate recipes from this popular site.
- Simply Recipes Chocolate Search. Find recipes like chipotle flourless chocolate cake and chocolate truffles at this site.
- Green Tea Cheesecake White Chocolate Brownie. If the title frightens you, take a look at the photo of the finished product on the Nook & Pantry blog for inspiration to try this delicious dessert.
- Cupcake Recipes. While not all the recipes here include chocolate, many do. It’s worth checking out the creative and beautiful chocolate creations that top some of these cupcakes at this blog.
- My Chocolate Blog. Mixed among the sales pitches for chocolate goods, there are plenty of chocolaty tips, tricks, and recipes on this blog.
- Chocolate-Cherry Heart Cake Made With Rum. Don’t wait for a special occasion to show your loved one how much you care–make this incredible cake any time.
- revisit! the best chocolate chip cookies, ever. Who doesn’t love a chocolate chip cookie? These cookies are incredibly popular and worth giving a try yourself.
- ChocolateMan. This site isn’t exactly about recipes, but if you need to find any supplies for making chocolate, then this is the place to go.
If you are looking to connect with other chocolate lovers, check out these sites that range from social networks to forums to in-person meet-ups.
- The Chocolate Life. This community is run for and by chocolate lovers and includes blogs, photos, events, and more.
- Chocolate Alchemy Forum. Learn about the art and science of chocolate from others or share what you know on this forum.
- Chocolate Forum. From recipe sharing to learning about edible art, this forum offers an array of topics.
- Seventypercent Forums. Fine chocolate discussions and reviews, ingredients, recipes, chocolatiers, and many other topics are all available for discussion at this forum.
- NYC Chocolate Meetup. Whether you live close enough to participate in person or just want to hop online to check out what they are discussing on the message board, join this group for the chocolate.
- Chocolate Week. You really don’t have to wait until October to celebrate chocolate, but this UK organization really does it up right for this one week.
Chocolate Organizations and Associations
These groups are making a better world for chocolate and the people who provide it.
- Academy of Chocolate. This group from the UK is out to educate chocolate devotees about the differences in chocolate and how socially and ecologically sound practices are better for both chocolate and people.
- Chocolate USA. From the National Confectioners Association, this website offers nutrition and health information, history, science and new, and other resources for chocolate information.
- International Cocoa Organization. This group’s goal is to promote "the development of a sustainable cocoa economy." Learn statistics, find out about projects, and more.
- Retail Confectioners International. Find out where you can earn a chocolate education, read interesting facts, and more at this site.
- World Cocoa Foundation. Just read the news or become involved yourself with creating empowered cocoa communities with this organization.
- The Cocoa Merchants Association of America. This organization acts as a watchdog for trade and welfare of the cocoa community in the US.
From popular to high-end, these chocolate makers share their stories, recipes, and much more on their sites.
- Hershey’s Chocolate. Probably one of the most famous American chocolate makers, Hershey’s offers recipes, promotions, and even information for visiting their sites.
- Godiva Chocolatier. Shop online, find out what’s new at Godiva, or learn about those favorite pieces found in these famous boxes of chocolate.
- Ghirardelli. Find baking recipes using this decadent chocolate or just browse through the Chocopedia to learn plenty about chocolate.
- Scharffen Berger. Get recipes, find out information about chocolate, and even get chocolate newsletters if you can’t wait for updates.
- Ah Cacao Real Chocolate. Read about this Mexican chocolate, their highly-rated cafes, and more at this chocolate company’s website.
- The Amano Chocolate Blog. Find out about this artisan chocolate and all that is happening at their company on this blog.
- Patric Chocolate. This blog contains some interesting facts such as how chocolate affects microbes in your mouth to create aftertaste and several myth-busting truths.
- Life By Chocolate. This artisan chocolate maker in New York blogs about their experiences, their products, chocolate, and more.
- Zorro Chocolates. Read Ed’s blog, find out about special promotions, and even shop online here.
- Lindt. Select from different countries for a specialized look at this Swiss chocolate company.
Whether you are looking for raw chocolate, chocolate without allergens, or want to ensure your chocolate is ecologically and socially sound, then these are the sites for you.
- Innocent Chocolate. This amazingly delicious, organic chocolate is touted as helping to increase metabolism rather than putting on weight and comes in a variety of flavors, including their raw chocolate. All the flavors are composed of mostly raw ingredients.
- Fine and Raw Chocolate. Another raw chocolate option, these delectable bon bons are available in select stores in New York or can be shipped right to your door for a small shipping fee.
- UliMana Raw Organic Chocolate Treats. If you are craving raw chocolate goodness, choose from raw chocolate truffle butter; chocolate apricot, and walnut "Trulies"; or Chia Moon Drops cookies.
- Dagoba Organic Chocolate. Find out why organic chocolate is so tasty or get organic chocolate recipes here.
- Endangered Species Chocolate. Not only can you eat delicious chocolate, but find out how you also help support endangered species when you purchase this chocolate.
- Chocolate Decadence. Find chocolates that are dairy, lactose, gluten, and casein-free at this specialty chocolate shop.
- Chocolate Emporium. Whether you are looking for parve or other kosher chocolates, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, or peanut-free, you will find the type of chocolate you need from this site.
- Fair Trade Chocolates. If you are looking for a way to enjoy your chocolate and ensure that those who brought the chocolate to you are fairly compensated, then this fair trade chocolate site is for you.
- Green & Black’s Organic. Learn about chocolate, get recipes, and find out how this company got its start.
- Theo. This organic, fair trade chocolate is also made in the United States. Find out more about this chocolate, the company, and more.
All About Chocolate
Learn health benefits of chocolate, find out why fair trade chocolate is a good idea to support, get virtual chocolates for your computer, and learn about pairing chocolate with scotch with these resources.
- Chocolate: The Psychoactive Food. Learn about why and how chocolate makes so many people feel so good.
- How Chocolate Works. Learn about chocolate, how it’s made, and even get photos of cacao trees and cocoa beans.
- All About Chocolate – Buying, Storing, Melting, Tempering and Using. Find out how to store, melt, and temper chocolate with this article.
- Is Chocolate Dairy-Free?. Read this short article to find the answer to this question.
- Dark Chocolate is Healthy Chocolate. Read this article from Web MD about the health benefits of dark chocolate.
- Chocolate: A Health Food?. Read this doctor’s informative article on the health benefits of chocolate and heed his reminder that chocolate is only as good as its ingredients.
- Improve Your Health and Well-Being with Raw Chocolate. Find out why raw chocolate is so good for you and even learn how to make some at home.
- Featured Article: Chocolate. Get a brief glimpse into the history and health benefits of chocolate, learn a bit about fair trade chocolate, and get links to healthy chocolate vendors.
- Dark Chocolates and Their Uses. Learn about how dark chocolate works to help keep your body healthy in this article.
- The World’s Best Chocolate. Read about this writer’s journey that took him to Italy to find out more about an amazing chocolate.
- Virtual Chocolate. Send virtual chocolate postcards, get free chocolate computer wallpaper, and even read stories and poems about chocolate here.
- Pairing Chocolate and Scotch. If you love both these decadent treats, then read this article to find out how to find the perfect combination.
Check out these videos for information that ranges from saving cocoa plants from disease to Emeril’s healthy Mexican hot chocolate.
- Chocolate to Save Forests?. Find out how growing organic chocolate may save an endangered Dominican Republican rainforest.
- Rescuing Chocolate. Learn how scientists are working to save cocoa plants from specific diseases.
- Kakaw: Chocolate in Guatemalan Culture. Professor Michael D. Coe delivers an interesting lecture on chocolate in Spanish.
- Making Chocolate. Watch this video to see how chocolate is made at a Hershey factory.
- Emeril Green: Mexican Hot Chocolate. Watch Emeril make an organic and healthy batch of Mexican hot chocolate.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries–Video. Learn how to make these decadent treats right at home.
- Tempering Chocolate. Go for the artistic and learn how to create shiny and properly-hardened chocolate with this video.
- Melting Chocolate. If tempering is too much work for you, then try this simple way to melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Cardamom Chocolate Truffles Recipe Video. Learn how to make these simple, yet elegant homemade truffles.
Chocolate Books and Movies
If you want to lose yourself in a great book or movie about chocolate, then check out these resources.
- Chocolat. Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp almost stole the show from the chocolate in this movie where it acts as the catalyst for change in a small, conservative community. This movie was based on the book by the same name by Joanne Harris.
- Like Water for Chocolate. This book by Laura Esquivel was originally written in Spanish, but this translation allows English readers to understand the beauty and mystical experience food plays in the live of Tita and those close to her. It was also made into a movie (in Spanish with subtitles) that is definitely worth seeing.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This site is a great resource for anyone who loves the Roald Dahl book. Find information about the book, movies and plays that were inspired by the book, fun facts, and teacher resources.
- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This famous movie version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, starring Gene Wilder, was the version many adults grew up with and are still passionate about.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This remake of the book starring Johnny Depp was a favorite of many children and adults alike, but also created quite a divide among those who were fans of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
- The Great Book of Chocolate [Illustrated]. Learn all about chocolate while gushing over the gorgeous photos in this book by David Lebovitz.
- The Essence of Chocolate. This blog post describes why chocolate lovers will definitely need to read this chocolaty jewel.
- Give Chocolate. Get recommendations for nine different chocolate books (one fiction, the rest non-fiction) that would make great gifts for the chocolate lovers in your life.
- Chocolate Book Reviews. These 13 books are a great sampling of both fiction and non-fiction books that all feature chocolate at their heart.
If you enjoyed this article, please bookmark it at del.icio.us »