Posted by Site Administrator | Posted in Cooking, Cooking Resources, Online Resources | Posted on 30-10-2008
By Alisa Miller
While everyone has to eat, only those true foodies are absolutely devoted to their food. Whether you make it professionally, as a hobby, or just love to eat good food, you will find search engines from this list below to make your nose and tongue sing. From recipes to ethnic foods to restaurants to local farmer’s markets to wine and beer, these search engines will help you find exactly what you want when it comes to creating and appreciating delicious food and beverages.
There is absolutely no reason any food lover should ever be at a loss for what to cook. These search engines will keep you stocked with all types of recipes.
- FoodieView. This recipe search engine will help you find what you are looking for with over 1 million recipes available.
- Five Mushrooms. Use this search engine to find recipes from real people just like you.
- Global Gourmet Recipe Search. Search for recipes at Global Gourmet that span back ten years.
- Epicurious Recipes. Search for both Epicurious recipes and recipes submitted by members with this search engine.
- Food & Wine Recipes. Find a recipe by the type of food or the Food Network. The search possibilities are flexible with this search engine which allows you to look for a recipe by quick meals, what’s in season, the chef who created it, or searching the entire site.
- Food Down Under. Search from over 200,000 recipes or browse by category to find what you are wanting to cook.
- Easy Recipes. Find easy recipes using simple, everyday ingredients.
- The Recipe Link. Search with this tool to find recipes from this repository that has been collecting since 1996.
- RecipeSource. Look for your next meal among the 70,000 recipes with this search engine started by an alumni of University of California, Berkeley who has been compiling recipes since 1993.
- Allrecipes. This popular site offers a search engine which provides recipes, information on ingredients, and more.
- Cooking.com. Search. Find recipes or search by ingredients with this search engine.
- Mimi’s Food Finder. Use one of the three search engines here to find exactly the recipe you were seeking.
- Meals For You. These recipes include detailed nutrition information so that you can choose meals just right for your needs.
- Yahoo! Food. Browse or search for recipes from this Yahoo! food search engine.
- RecipeComun. Super simple to use, this search engine will provide you with recipes from some of the top recipe sites quickly and easily.
- Recipes Engine. Type in your keyword and get recipes from this database of over 177,000 recipes.
Various Types of Food
Whether you are looking for Asian, French, or raw food, these search engines will help you find recipes and information on a variety of foods.
- ChineseFoodDIY. Search for definitions, recipes, techniques, and more to help you create delicious Chinese food at home.
- Asia Food. Search for terms and recipes for foods from countries all across Asia.
- Chicken-Recipes.ca. Use the search tool on this site to find any type of chicken recipe imaginable.
- The Recipe Link Copycat and Restaurant Recipes. If you’ve ever wanted to recreate something you ate at a restaurant, check out this search engine to see if you can make your favorite dish at home.
- Britannia Recipes. If you are looking for a recipe for Bubble and Squeak or clotted cream, this search engine will help you out.
- Cooking2000. Get French recipes and information on French wines with this search engine.
- Tokyo Food Page–Japanese Cuisines. Search for delicious Japanese recipes that move way beyond sushi with this search tool.
- RFCJ Recipe Archive. From Hanukkah recipes to kosher dishes, find recipes for Jewish food with this search engine.
- Made*In*Italy*On*Line Wine and Food. Whatever you want to learn about Italian wine and food can be found here from recipes to information to regulations.
- Bawarchi.com. Find Indian food recipes with the search tool here. You can even narrow your search by vegetarian, user recipes, expert recipes, and more.
- Keeping It Raw. Search for raw food news and websites with this search engine.
Vegetarian and Vegan
Being vegetarian or vegan doesn’t mean you should rely on sprouts and hummus. These recipes, articles and more will help you eat healthily and deliciously while staying on your chosen path.
- HappyCow. Find vegetarian restaurants and food stores in your area with this search tool.
- VegWeb. Find vegetarian recipes with this search engine.
- V3GGIE. This vegetarian search engine will find anything from recipes to news to blogs.
- 101 Cookbooks. Taken from various cookbooks, the searchable recipes on this site are primarily vegetarian and almost always natural and healthy.
- Vegetarian Times Recipes. Search for vegetarian recipes with this search engine that can be customized to find exactly the type of recipe you want.
- VegEats!. Look for vegetarian recipes and vegetarian restaurants with this search engine.
- VegeCyber. Search for vegetarian frozen food items on this site.
- VegCooking. Not only can you search for vegetarian recipes here, you can also search the replacement ingredients for items such as meat, dairy, eggs, and more.
- goodbaker. Find vegan organic baking mixes from this site that serves as a clearinghouse and does not make or sell these products.
- Vegan Recipes. Search by ingredient to find a delicious vegan recipe among these.
All About Food
These search engines don’t just stop at recipes. You can find blogs, websites, information about ingredients, and more from these search engines.
- The Big Fat Food Search Engine. Use this search engine powered by Google to find exactly what you want from several food-related websites.
- Epicurious Food Dictionary. Type in keywords or browse alphabetically to find definitions for words that have to do with food and cooking.
- thefoodsearch. This search engine will help you find information on food, beverages, cooking styles, appliances, and more.
- Cooking Connect. Find what you are looking for when it comes to food with this search engine that covers everything from vegetarian resources to professional chefs.
- Food ingredients. If you are looking for suppliers of food ingredients, this search engine will connect you with the right businesses.
- International Purveyor Index. Find distributors of food, beverage, and equipment from all around the world with this search tool.
- GourmetSpot.com. Use this search engine to find information on food, groceries, cooking, and more.
- Cheww. Search food blogs without the spam with this search engine.
- Food Blog Search. This custom Google search engine will connect you with information from several food blogs.
- FoodTube.net. Search for videos that feature cooking, recipes, and beverages at this site.
No matter where you live or what type of food you want to eat, these resources will help you find a place to eat.
- allthefood.com. Plug in your zip code or search by state to find restaurants in your area.
- Delocator. Use your zip code to find non-corporate cafes in your area with this search engine.
- DineSite.com. Not only can you find restaurants in your area with this search tool, you can also find reviews about them to help you know if you want to give them a try.
- Food & Wine Restaurant Search. Whether you are looking for a restaurant in Monaco or Mississippi, this international search engine will help you find a place to eat.
- Zagat. Enter your zip code or city and search for restaurants and reviews with this popular search tool.
- GreekCuisine.com Dining Guide. Find Greek restaurants around the world with this simple search engine.
- The Vegetarian Resource Group Online Restaurant Guide. Find vegetarian, vegan, or vegetarian-friendly restaurants across the US and Canada with this search tool.
- VegDining.com. Search for vegetarian restaurants around the world here.
- Food Finder. Enter your zip code and the type of food you want to receive a listing of all the restaurants in your area.
- Food Finder.net. Not only can you find restaurants in your area, but get ratings and menu items as well.
Local Markets and Farms
Whether you want to purchase your food from a local farm, browse a farmer’s market, or find a place to buy real milk, these search engines will help you get what you are seeking.
- FarmersMarket. Find farmer’s markets all across the country with this search site.
- USDA Agricultural Marketing Service Farmers Market Search. Use the flexible search parameters on this search engine to find farmer’s markets in your area.
- Local Harvest Family Farms. If you want to support family farmers and buy local, organic produce, then use this search engine to help you know where to go.
- Community Supported Agriculture (And Other Farm Subscriptions). Find out where you can get locally grown food from small farmers on a subscription basis with this search engine.
- CSA Search. Find Community Supported Agriculture farms around the country with this search engine.
- Ecovian. Find restaurants, food stores, and farms in your area that provide local and organic food.
- The Local Food Directory. For those in the UK, use this search engine to find locally grown food near you.
- Australian Community Foods. If you live in Australia and want local food, use this search engine to find farmer’s markets, community gardens, co-ops, cafes, and more.
- Coop Directory Service Listing. Find food co-ops in the 50 states with this tool.
- Eat Well Guide. Find fresh, sustainable food anywhere in the US and Canada with this search engine.
- Where Can I Find Real Milk?. If you are searching for real milk, unpasturized milk from grass-fed, true dairy cows, use this search engine to find it.
Healthy Eating and Sustainability
For many food lovers it is important to support both healthy eating and sustainability. These search engines will help you do just that.
- Sustainable Table rBGH-free dairy map. This searchable map provides you with local dairies that sell products free of artificial bovine growth hormones.
- Pastured Products Directory. Find farms that pasture-feed their animals and supply meat and dairy products in the US and Canada.
- Seafood Watch. This search tool will let you know all about specific seafood and if it is a sustainable choice.
- Environmental Defense Fund Seafood Selector. Find out what seafood and the specific species are ecologically smart to eat. They also provide health concerns for fish and seafood high in mercury or other contaminants.
- Green Maven. Use this search engine to find healthy resources on topics such as health food stores, food, diet, nutrition, and more.
- FitFood.com Recipe Search. Find recipes tailored to your healthy choices with categories such as rich in grains, low carb, or rich in fruits.
Find out nutritional value of everything from asparagus to fast food, or get information to help you eat more nutritiously with the information available from these search engines.
- NutraWatch Food Finder. Discover the nutrition in your food when you search for anything from baby food to fast food to vegetables.
- Fast Food Facts. Find out all about the nutrition in your favorite fast food with this search tool.
- MayoClinic.com Food & Nutrition Center. Search this site for a plethora of recipes, information, and more to help you with nutrition and healthy eating.
- Arbor Nutrition Guide. This search engine will connect you with tons of links and resources on food and nutrition topics.
- International Food Information Council. Get food safety, nutrition information, and more from this organization which strives to help people understand science-based food information.
- fealth. This search engine has a focus on health and is a good place to search for nutrition-based information.
- OrganizedWisdom. While this search engine is technically a health search tool, it does have a hefty amount of information available on nutrition.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification. Learn the do’s and don’ts about vitamins and prescription drug usage.
- Nutrition Touch. Find out nutrients, calories, vitamins, and more about the foods you eat (including fast food).
- Nutrinium. Search for health and nutrition news articles with this search engine.
- Gyminee. Search over 55,000 foods to find nutrition information on them all.
Wine and Beer
Whether you are a connoisseur or are just learning about wine or beer, these search engines will help you find information, know where to purchase products, or even locate $2 beer.
- BlueWine.com. Search for wines, vineyards, wine organizations, and more with this search engine.
- Wine-Searcher.com. Search for virtually any wine to learn about the wine and where you can buy it.
- Epicurious Wine Dictionary. Find out what Macabeo or acetobacter mean and more in this handy wine dictionary.
- WineMetro. WineMetro will connect you with the top information about wine, wineries, distributors, retailers, and more.
- Able Grape. This super simple search engine will not let you down when it comes to information on wine. Search in English, French, or Italian.
- I Search Beers. Search by keyword or by country to find information on many of the beers made around the world.
- PubCrawler Beer Search. Enter your location information and find microbreweries, brew pubs, and beer bars near you.
- the beer engine. Find the best beer in Europe with this search engine.
- Cheap Beer Search Engine. If you live in the Mid-south of the US and want to find beers $2 or less, use this search engine.
- Beer Search. This custom Google search will help you find ratings and information about beer.
Government Search Engines
For the "official" word on food, nutrition, and food safety, use these government search engines.
- FDA Search Engine. Use this search engine to find information on food safety, allergens, nutrition, food labeling, and more.
- USDA National Nutrient Database. Search by keyword or by food groups to find information on nutrients in foods.
- Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. A sector of the FDA, the search engine on this site will give you the government stance on safety and nutrition.
- FoodSafety.gov. Search documents from federal agencies that pertain to food safety issues here.